Monday, February 22, 2010

Are You Ready Boots?

Saturday I drove up to Meadows with my friend Rachel. It was absolutely the laziest snowboarding experience of my life and to be honest, the best part of the day was talking with Rachel in my car.

Nearly 4 years ago my car stereo was stolen out of my Subaru and I still haven't replaced it. It's not that I can't afford a new stereo or even that I don't want one. It's just that not having one opens up a whole new world of conversation. Silence is a void most people prefer to fill. Without music blaring in the background ideas and thoughts, silly jokes and general observations abound. I'm a fan of this. Also, not having a car stereo has prompted me to start singing in the car.

This is still problematic because I only can remember the entire song lyrics to 2 songs: "Happy Birthday" and "Mercedes Benz" by Janis Joplin. I've yet to sing happy birthday by myself in the car, but I have on occasion sung the Janis Joplin song three times in a row without stopping. Eventually I get bored and start singing the random chorus lines that I do know and I end up blending them together in ways that should be against the law. This brings me back to one of the highlights of my car ride with Rachel. She actually remembers song lyrics. Our conversation about secretly enjoying singing even though we have no natural talent for it whatsoever lead to several good rounds of singing in the car and even a tentative plan for Rachel to take my karaoke virginity. The real inspiration for this? Nancy Sinatra. These Boots Were Made For Walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment